- As small as possible. That is, as few boards as possible without requiring really expensive boards, as small a case as possible, etc
- As cheap as possible. Given what I want it to actually /do/ below, I don't need a lot of CPU power, nor a lot of wonderful options, I just need the bare minimum to achieve the goal.
- The ability to take one (more is fine, but not neccessary) composite video input. No audio. The ability to capture single frames from that source, at a rate of not more than 2/s, and more likely 1 every 5 minutes.
- The ability to store said images on an internal device, say CF.
- The ability to plug into the wall for power, but survive being unplugged for short periods of time.
- if possible, the ability to run for long periods of time /without/ being plugged in. Diamond has battery backup boards that might work here, tho a quick calculation puts their lowest power cpu board at around 9 hours if running completely by itself on their nimh batteries.
- The ability to connect to an ethernet network for the later downloading of said images.
edit: Feel free to part out a different platform, if you like. Do include prices.