I was introduced to Coulton by kerrizor and immediately took Skullcrusher Mountain as my personal theme song. Found his website and found I could download mp3s of almost all his songs. Then I bought his two CDs off Amazon.
I'm not entirely sure how to categorize him. I think he should go somewhere between filk and Weird Al. A lot of it is fairly folk-ish, and it's entirely humor.
Songs I particularly recommend:
- Skullcrusher Mountain: my theme song, you'll understand why.
- I Crush Everything: What's not to like about a love-you-from-afar song... by a giant squid?
- The Future Soon: Don't make fun of the smart kids just because they lack any social skills. You'll regret it later when they destroy civilization.
- Mandelbrot Set: You're one bad-ass fucking fractal.
- De-Evolving: There's a monkey in the future for you.
If you have mediaserv access, it's all up here. And there are lyrics for everything and mp3s of almost everything on his website. There are also lyrics for everything, so I'm going to spare you a bunch of cuts full of them. Instead, here's a good reason to think he's cool:
All these mp3s are Creative Commons. Download and share them, but think of poor me slaving away, just giving and giving. If this file-sharing thing is going to work (and I think it will) we all have to change the way we think. This means supporting artists who give stuff away by donating what you think is fair. Or you can buy songs from iTunes, mp3Tunes and many other online song selling establishments. If you are old-fashioned, you may want to buy a CD.
Also, you should read the bit on his front page about the CRIA.